Broadband East Riding logo

Frequently Asked Questions

What is fibre broadband?

Fibre broadband is delivered via clusters of fibre optic cables, which are made from pure strands of glass and are extremely thin. Fibre broadband has the advantage of being very fast, with speeds of up to 1000Mbps, and is much more reliable than previous technologies.

There are two types of fibre broadband: fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) and fibre to the premise (FTTP). With fibre to the cabinet, fibre optic cables run from the telephone exchange to street cabinets, and then copper telephone wires connect the cabinet to homes. Alternatively, fibre to the premise involves fibre optic cables running all the way from exchanges to homes. This is also known as full fibre broadband and is one type of technology that can deliver gigabit-capable broadband (download speeds of at least one gigabit per second, or 1000 megabits per second).

As part of the digital switchover, all UK broadband suppliers will no longer be maintaining a copper network and all future installations will be full fibre. The switch over is scheduled to complete in 2025, and suppliers are working to upgrade copper networks with new fibre networks.

When will I get gigabit capable broadband?

The government’s target is for gigabit capable (1000Mbps) broadband to be available to 85% of the UK by 2025 and nationwide (over 99%) by 2030. The East Riding of Yorkshire currently has 84% gigabit capable coverage and further investment is being carried out through a mixture of commercial and public funding.

In the first instance, you can contact broadband suppliers in your area to see what plans they have to improve the provision of broadband in your location.

We, in the Broadband East Riding team, work with Building Digital UK (BDUK) (part of the Department for Science, Innovation and Technology), to ensure that our share of the £5bn of funding being provided to improve broadband in the UK is spent on those areas most in need.

We are currently working with BDUK on Project Gigabit. This aims to provide gigabit capable broadband to those premises in the East Riding which are currently on speeds below 100Mbps and where no commercial investment is planned. This project is expected to commence in Summer 2024 and is likely to run for up to three years.

Details of the project can be found here.

Am I able to get broadband through the council?

Unfortunately, the council is not responsible for the provision of broadband. Broadband provision is commercially led, with public intervention in circumstances where commercial providers deem investment too risky or expensive.

Therefore, in the first instance, it is worth contacting a broadband supplier to place an order for broadband. There are resources open to you which will show suppliers in your area. One of these is Think Broadband. If you enter your postcode, it will show the current suppliers and speeds available:

Think broadband - UK statistics (external website)

Am I able to get help towards the cost of broadband?

Internet service providers offer social tariffs, which are available to people claiming universal credit, pension credit and some other benefits.

Further information can be found at:

Ofcom - Social tariffs: Cheaper broadband and phone packages (external website)

I am getting broadband speeds of less than 10Mbps, is there anything I can do?

Any resident with an average speed of less than 10Mbps to their postcode can apply for an improved broadband connection via the Universal Service Obligation (USO), which gives consumers the legal right to request a 'decent' broadband connection.

You can apply to either BT or KCOM for the USO, and can find out more about how it works at the following links:

KCOM - Delivering the Universal Service Obligation (USO) (external website)

BT - What is the universal service scheme? (external website)

Is the council responsible for planning to erect telegraph poles?

Unfortunately, the council is not responsible for the provision of broadband, including planning to erect telegraph poles.

The installation of poles is deemed to be ‘Permitted Development’ under current government planning regulations and therefore, planning consent is not required. Communications providers must give the planning department 28 days’ notice of any new pole installations and the council may only comment on the detail of these proposed installations to ensure they do not pose a health and safety hazard.

In addition, communications providers must also give local residents 28 days’ notice of all poles to be installed. This will usually take the form of a planning notice installed on a lamppost locally or a letter through the post box.

Further information can be found at:

East Riding Council - Telecoms utilities and telegraph poles (external council website)

If your query has not been answered in the frequently asked questions above, then you can get in touch using the Contact us form below:

Contact us